Tuesday 8 October 2013

Road Whore

The next few days found me wandering out and about every day.  I was given a new nickname, "Road Whore."  Nothing derogatory at all, just a unique description for my behaviour while I was in the big city.  I can never keep quiet, and I am always on the road.
I didn't care what they called me, I topped up my MetroCard, and took the train to several of my destinations.
The weather was changing and the days and nights were getting cooler.  My poor little Caribbean body could not  take the "cold" weather, so out came the layers, layers, layers.
Every night I'd ask my friends for directions to various places I wanted to visit, but sometimes by the next day, depending on the weather, the destinations were changed, but with good reason.
On my way out to the shopping area one day, I passed a fire a few blocks from where I was staying.


I counted maybe five or six fire trucks that responded.

 Ambulances were rushing to the scene.....it seemed to be quite a serious tragedy. I said a quick prayer for the safety of the victims and the responders.

Downtown Manhattan is a great place to wander around.  Yes, everyone is hustling and bustling along, but as a tourist you can wander around at your own pace and truly discover the place.

 This dog walker has got to be really good to handle five dogs on a busy downtown Manhattan sidewalk.


Having a quick lunch (turkey burger) in a deli opposite Baruch College's Lawrence and Eris Field Building on Lexington and East 23rd.
A nice quiet deli.....until..... suddenly it was invaded by lunchtime students who were looking for a quick tasty meal.  I wish I could remember the name of the deli, but I just can't.  I'm sorry about that because they deserve recognition. 
Yes, the burger was delicious!

Baruch College is one of the 10 senior colleges of The City University of New York, and holds the distinction of being the largest urban public university in the United States.

Taking the subway around the city is in itself an experience.  You never ever know what you will encounter.
One occasion springs to mind.  A stout lady jumped on to the train one morning and started a diatribe about persons who shunned the homeless. She loudly admitted that she did not shun them however, she fed them nutritious meals every day, and could we, the travelers on the train spare a little change to feed the homeless. In her even louder voice, she told us that she feeds them a good meal every day, and she held up her hand to show the meal that she dispenses.  I kid you not, in her hand was a slice of bread with a hole in the middle that held an egg, and a can of grape soda!!

No one handed over any money, and we were all "cussed" (*) to hell and back....and then she exited the train at the next stop, to start her trickery all over again.

(*) cursed


6 comments:

  1. Oh I loved your story about the lady on the subway! I suppose it takes all types. I do hope you got to Central Park - I loved wandering through there, especially the John Lennon memorial park.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh dear, no, I did not get to visit Central Park this time either.....maybe next time.
    I will add the John Lennon memorial park to my list for next year.
    The time goes by so quickly, and with so many things to do, that it's impossible to get half of the things on my list done.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Subways have some crazy crazy people indeed. Oh the stories I could tell

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sure you would have some good stories to tell...those characters are hilarious, although you dare not laugh while they're around.
      It was through your Typhoid Mary character that I became hooked on your blog.

      Delete
  4. I do so enjoy wandering around places with you: particularly places I have never, and probably will never, visit.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm happy that you are enjoying my wanderings around NYC.
      Never say never......

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...