Saturday 26 July 2014

I'm still here

Wow, I've been missing for over a week.
I had drafted a small post to let you know of my whereabouts, and it went a little something like this....

"Tomorrow.........will start the ball rolling for my summertime maintenance chores......days of hard work starting in the early morn and finishing up around dinner time.
I will probably be too tired to blog as usual, but rest assured that I will have tutorials of every project that I undertake during the period."

Those words are over two weeks old....my how time flies.
I am smack dab in the middle of a big project which I hope to have finished by next weekend.
 I did manage to find a little time to wander the garden to check out what's happening before starting my work routine for the day yesterday.
Here's what I found:
 
 "Heck Mum, something's wrong with your lettuce!"
The lettuce (both the green and the red variety ) had bolted.
Thank goodness I had just planted some romaine lettuce seedlings, so I will still be able to enjoy fresh salads.

My okra plants were flowering, and then I looked closer.....
..........my first okras.

The Portlandia was showing off it beautiful big white flowers.

The heady scent of this unknown jasmine was almost too much to bear.....my nose was intoxicated.


The Duke of Tuscany did not want to be left out of the party.
 

The blue butterfly Clerdendron ugandese was not far behind....the delicate flowers should be opened by next week.

The Lakeview Jasmine was laden with tons of flowers....a total delight for the bees.....I didn't want to get too close in case I was stung.
After that wonderful walk, it was time to get my work day started....no rest for the weary they say....I'm enjoying every minute of my project.


9 comments:

  1. Hi Virginia, I'm still here too. You have included some of my favourites in your post today with the jasmines and clerodendron. I am in the midst of my Winter maintenance chores here in Australia, so I am not completely shamed come Springtime. Sadly, the indoors and the paperwork seems to claim most of my time, but we had some good soaking rain late yesterday after a long dry spell, and I managed to move a couple of things in the garden into better positions yesterday. Hope it makes some difference. Cheers for now!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's so nice to "see" you Marissa...I am glad that you checked in...was wondering how you and the girls are doing.
      Glad to hear that you used the rain-soaked earth to your advantage and moved around a couple of things in your garden.
      Good luck with your chores...if you do them now, you won't have to do them later...smile.
      Take care.

      Delete
  2. Seems we are in the same boat - too busy - except for me it's been work not gardening. I've had a very busy time at work lately so haven't spent much time at all in the garden or anywhere else. I'm hoping things calm down soon so I can get back to the garden and the things I enjoy doing rather than the things I have to do.
    I love all your white flowers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope that things calm down a bit for you at work, so that you can concentrate on all the things that need to be done for your new home.
      I want to say thanks for inspiring me to make cuttings of some of my hedge shrubs which have done exceptionally well.
      My back garden is a green and white garden mostly, loosely designed with a Japanese feel to it. All the other coloured shrubs are in the side beds....I adore white flowers.

      Delete
  3. I like the idea of an 'intoxicated nose': very poetic. My garden contrasts with yours in so many ways but, in particular, so much of yours is tall whereas a lot of of mine is very short and close to the ground to escape the wind as far as possible.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you could smell the various scents from the flowers in my garden your nose would be inebriated as well.
      I think your garden looks very nice and I always admire it whenever you post a photo....I don't think any of those beautiful low growing plants would do well here.
      How are the fish doing?

      Delete
    2. The fish are going great guns Virginia. I shall do a post about them soon.

      Delete
  4. I would a garden filled with the smell of jasmine! What an amazing fragrance to work to. :o)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Truth be told, with my asthma and allergies I should not have such highly fragranced plants in the garden.....but what the heck!! Love them.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...