Saturday 1 September 2018

Bathsheba - A Relaxing Weekend Part 1

The year started out with a bang for me.
Lots of work along with more and more projects which consumed me and kept me busy, busy, busy.
Long days filled with 10 hours of work sometimes, just to get it all done.
Don't get me wrong, I am not complaining because I love to be busy, that's my natural high.
I love when a plan comes together after planning it out in my head.
I have never been a lazy person....EVER.
I love the joy and excitement I feel when I awake to meet another God given day...I feel so blessed and I make the most of every single second of that day.

May Day holiday is the day I usually host my annual swap/tea party for my girlfriends, but this year I just didn't feel like it.
My girlfriend Eureka was also working quite hard and she too was also in need of a break.
I decided we would take a weekend off just to relax and kick back and rejuvenate our bodies and souls.
I booked an Airbnb on the East coast in the town of Bathsheba and off we went.
I gave Brownie lots of love and told him to be a good boy while I was away and left him in the care of daughter dear.
We packed everything that we could possibly need for the weekend since there are no shops and stores in this lovely seaside town. 

Initially we had intended to take the bus to Bathsheba, but with our heavy bags we soon realised that this was not a good plan
My friend's son volunteered to give us a ride to the east coast, and being the city slickers that we are we got a bit lost at first as we meandered on our way...eventually we found ourselves there.
That Saturday April 28th being a bank holiday, National Heroes Day, the beach was full of people with large picnic hampers enjoying themselves.
With elections in the air, a newly formed political party was also out sponsoring a garbage cleanup of large items in the area.

The house was perfect and sat on top of the hill where we had a lovely view into the town.
Our Airbnb for the weekend
Our host Gene Marva welcomed us warmly and we gifted her with a lovely fruit and veggie basket that we had brought for her.
We hugged and chatted and we felt as if we had known her for ages....what a lovely lady.
We arrived in the afternoon since check-in was 3pm and after unpacking our stuff we decided to take a long walk on the beach.
I must say here that I took over 300 photos that weekend and it was hard to decide which ones I would use for my posts since they were all beautiful.

We left the house and made a right up a small hill away from the crowded beach.
The sky was the bluest blue and the clouds were still hanging on to the day.
 We found a track further down the hill that would take us across the shoreline.
Bathsheba is noted for its large rock formations and each one has an unique beauty.
 Can you spot the crab?
Barbados is the most easterly island in the Caribbean chain of islands, and therefore I pride myself in the fact that we get the cleanest breezes first from the Atlantic Ocean.
At Bathsheba, the wind is a constant gale force and it can be quite tricky to hang on to a camera and stand steady to capture a photo....but I achieved.
 The view as we continued down the hill.
 Gorgeous rock formations up close and personal
 
This year all of the Caribbean islands have been inundated with the awful Sargassum Seaweed which I have posted about before here.
Our island was not spared the dreaded onslaught and it was very visible at Bathsheba.


This rock looks as if it's about to keel over....what a big SPLASH that would be.


 Not all clouds look like puffy cotton wool balls.
This one looks like two boxing gloves ready for a fight.











 Scrub vegetation along the path.
 The sun was beginning to retire for the day so we headed back to the house.
 Only the Sansevieria (Mother-in-Law's Tongue) would be able to survive in such a harsh area.

 Taken from this angle these beautiful rock formations look like large turds.

Old forgotten steps from a beach house that once stood here.

A lovely stroll along the less traveled path of Bathsheba beach and it did not disappoint.

Back at the house, we found to our surprise that our gracious host had pre-stocked the fridge with necessities...so very thoughtful of her.
We had dinner, checked our messages, watched tv, chatted and then bedded down for the night.
I called to check on Brownie and daughter dear sent me a video of him having a bedtime snack...oh yes he was in good hands.
I thought I would have been lulled to sleep by the crashing waves but amazingly the house was quiet.
As I drifted off to sleep I was anticipating the following day and could not wait for the sun to rise again.

2 comments:

  1. It's taken me a little while to catch up. I really enjoyed sharing the first part of your weekend away. Interesting seeing Sansaveria in its natural environment.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It will take me a long while to catch up on my blog reading too.
      I am trying to write as many posts as possible and remove the photos from my phone as I do so.
      Sansavieria grows wild here on the island....the ones growing inland are in better shape than those at Bathsheba being batted about by the salty air.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...