Friday 28 April 2017

Oh heck!!!!

Living in and taking care of an old house can sometimes be tedious or a wonderful learning experience.
I have learned so many new things over the years that I am now capable of handling handyman jobs both inside and outside my home.
Even though my DIY repertoire of knowledge has increased, there are still some jobs that I don't feel comfortable with....electrical work being one of them.
This is when I call on my male friends to help.
"My Guys" are invaluable as friends and priceless as my knights in shining armour coming to my rescue.
My dear friend Charles wears many hats....he is my pc guru, my walking wikipedia with a wealth of knowledge in a variety of topics, and also a certified electrician.
When he comes by to help me out, we make a reservation for an early time slot, usually 6.00am.  We work on the project and he is back home by 8.00am.
A few days ago was no different.  I picked him up at 6.30am and we were in full swing by 7.00am.
One of the projects involved running a new internet access point to my room.  Wireless is fine sometimes but with the new smart tvs a wired internet connection is always better.


It was a straight run from the living room point to my room, requiring only a hole to be drilled in the wall....no problem.
Standing in the way was the étagère with my treasured blue and white porcelain pieces.

The étagère is metal with glass shelf inserts.

I started to move it very gingerly out of the way....a little pull from the right and a gentle pull from the left.  Everything was going well until...... CRACK _A_ LANG LANG!!!
At first I couldn't comprehend what had happened, but then I saw the entire top shelf had broken and all of the pieces had fallen on to the second shelf and also on to my hands that were still adhered to the left side of the shelf pulling it slowly along.

"OH HECK!!!"
"Charles!  Charles! Charles!," I cried out.  "HELP!!!  NOW!!! HELP!!!"
He came running over and started to remove the precious ornaments and place them on the dining table. Some were about to crash on to the floor and I begged him to save those ones first.
It seemed like he was moving in slow motion but in actual fact he was moving as fast as he could under the precarious circumstances.


Only when all of the pieces had been rescued was I able to remove my hands which were penned under the broken glass shelf.
Believe it or not....NOT ONE single piece was damaged...no broken pieces...no chips or dents.
Thank goodness Charles was there...I don't even want to think about what would have happened if he were not there to save them all.
Each one was precious......from the lovely lady figurine given to me by my Mum to my prized pieces purchased in faraway lands and acquired at estate sales, also gifts from an old friend and a farewell gift from a former workplace.

What an awful scare.

Off to the hardware store to purchase a replacement piece of glass for the top shelf.


The guy at the store was very helpful.
He cut a new piece of glass and told me that this piece was of better quality....it was also heavier and it was a tad thicker.
It fit perfectly.

 Back in business.

My ornaments are now safe once again. 
Today is National Heroes Day, a holiday here on the island.
I can't help but think that I now have another hero in my life.
.....thanks Charles!!!!

2 comments:

  1. Well that was a lesson learned! When it comes to precious items always play safe! I'm very glad that nothing was broken.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was being extra careful as I moved the etagere but these freak accidents seem to appear from out of thin air.
      You have no idea how truly happy I am that nothing was broken.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...