Tuesday 28 August 2018

Pumpkin Fritters

I am now old enough to be talking about "the good old days".
Memories of good times of my family just being us and living happily even through some pretty rough times which my parents always tried to shield us kids from.

As a child you just know when things are not normal...there is that child-like intuition that kicks in and you just know.
We had a pretty good life as compared to others and I am very thankful to my parents for raising me the way that they did.

My mum was a good cook and whenever things got rough she had a way of preparing some of our favourite snacks to buffer the hurt.
A fall from a tree or bicycle, a grazed knee, a bully at school, a lower grade than "A+" on a test, the death of a pet, you name it, mum was there to cheer you up with one of her tasty treats.

A few weeks ago, I had a hankering for some homemade Pumpkin Fritters just like the ones my mum would make.
Pumpkin Fritters are a Bajan delicacy and some restaurants have them on the buffet menu.
I have no idea why I felt the need to eat these fritters since I had not had them in years....but there it was...my mouth watered non stop.
After a few days with the feeling still hanging around I took the bull by the horns and made some scrumptious pumpkin fritters.
Looking online I found a recipe with no eggs and no milk....perfect.

Pumpkin Fritters (No Eggs/ No Milk)

1lb pumpkin - cooked and mashed
3/4 cup flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 cup sugar
2 teaspoons cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon vanilla essence
A little water (optional) 
Oil for frying


 A niece piece of pumpkin from the supermarket
 Cut into small chunky pieces
 
  Cook until tender, drain and then mash with a potato masher
 Mix all the ingredients together

Method
Mix everything together till batter has a good consistency for dropping  -not too wet.
Drop by spoonfuls into hot oil and fry in small batches.
Sprinkle with cinnamon sugar (optional)
 
Enjoy!!!  Yummy Yummy Yummy.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...