Saturday, 28 September 2013

He's back!!!!

I didn't know what to do with myself this morning. After another restless night, I sat with baited breath willing the phone to ring.  Willing it to be the vet on the other line.
At last, a loud BRINNNNGGGG!!! and it was my favourite vet telling me I could collect the patient.
He's not completely out of the woods yet, but at least he's on the way to recovery.
As the doc put it, "I don't want to have another patient to worry about, so come on down and collect him. He'll recuperate much faster at home."  Didn't need to tell me twice.
I quickly warmed some baked chicken pieces to take with me....he likes baked chicken....and off I went.
The journey seemed so long, even though just a five minute drive away.
Whenever I travel, the first gift item that is picked up is a lovely selection of chocolates/cookies for the veterinary staff, and this time was no exception.
The vet even made me laugh when he told me that they all said they definitely had to make sure Brownie was still around when I returned, if not they may not receive their gift.....that would never happen however.
Arriving, I chatted with the vet, who was sure it was some kind of (rat) poison that he had ingested.  He was in a serious way, and I believe the quick thinking of my daughter may have saved his life.
He's on antibiotics and Vitamin K which is the only antidote in cases of this nature.
 Headed out to the kennels.

You can tell how HAPPY I was to see him, my trembling hands could not even take a good photo.

He's been diligently trying to remove the bandage from his right front foot, but has not been successful as yet.
I hugged everyone, and we said our goodbyes (for now).

Returning home, the house and some parts of the garden were thoroughly inspected, and then he settled down into his favourite corner.
After another meal of chicken and copious amounts of water, he had fallen into a peaceful sleep.
I'm so glad that he's back home.
You may read more info here on rat poison and Vitamin K.


  1. Poor dog. Sure he'll recover even quicker now you're back though <3

    1. Yes, he'll make a speedy recovery in familiar surroundings....his castle so to speak.
      He's much much better today.

  2. Just caught up on my blog reading. I'm glad Mr Borown is on the mend. How terrible to come back from your holiday to such news. I'm sure you are so pleased to have such a sensible daughter to get him off to the vet so quickly. She probably saved his life. Give him a hug and a scratch behind the ears from me ans Missy please.

    1. Thanks Missy and Ros. I've given Mr.Brownie your hug and ear scratches....he enjoyed them.
      He is much much much better today.

  3. Oh how dreadful - I missed the last post, so glad that it all turned out ok in the end.

    1. Yes, it all turned out okay in the end.....thank goodness.

  4. I just went back through your old posts and saw you spread snail poison just before you went away. It might be worth taking that to the vet to check out if that was what might have caused the problem..

  5. I did bait with both rat poison and snail poison before I left, but this was done outside of my property and to the back outside of the wall. I do it like this all the time. The only way he could have been poisoned was if he ate a dead rat or dead pigeon that had already consumed the poison, and I doubt that very much.
    He's a very clean dog and he is not into carrion, not even the garbage.
    I have my thoughts on the matter, but let's just say I don't trust all my neighbours.

  6. I am so glad he's doing better and is home with you. How stressful and upsetting to you. My dogs are my fur babies and that's just the way it is. I totally understand your fear and worry!

  7. Thanks Tammy, he is much better. I am so happy that he's back at home too.


Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...