Usually I check to see what he's up to, and boy am I glad I kept my eyes on him.
The garbage bin is located just outside the small gate and I do believe that some passerby may have been aiming their discarded food at the bin and it missed and landed inside the garden.
Suddenly Brownie bent his head down and sniffed at something, and then started to gobble it all up.
I had no idea what it was, and he wasn't intending to stop gulping it down.
Calling his name loudly didn't really break the spell either. I rushed over to him and chased him back indoors.
I wasn't taking any chances for I had no idea what he had just consumed. Reaching into the cupboard I pulled out the old reliable.
All pet owners should always have a bottle knocking around for emergencies such as this.
Hydrogen Peroxide is good for cuts and bruises as a first aid antiseptic but also a life saver for our pets.....it induces vomiting.
I hurriedly mixed a 50:50 portion of hydrogen peroxide and water and added a few grains of Andrews liver salts (for upset stomachs) to be on the safe side and gave it to Mr. B.
Within five minutes Brownie was vomiting...thank goodness.
I then gave him a dish of soya milk to soothe his stomach and dilute any remaining toxins.
He was fine afterwards.
This dog keeps me on my toes that's for sure!!!
Note: If you don't have hydrogen peroxide on hand a strong solution of salt water will also do the trick.