Friday, 23 November 2012

A scary happenstance

Yesterday started out like any other day.
Awoke early as usual........

..........three large cruise ships in the harbour.


......."my" chickens going for a stroll across the wall

A bright sunny day.  Decided to do some outdoor painting. Everyone who knows me, knows I am as happy as a bug in a rug when I have a paintbrush in my hand. Spent  a few hours painting the walls at the back of the house, but then the sun became quite hot, so I called it a day.
I was only inside for about 15 minutes, when I started to smell smoke, and I heard some loud popping noises from outside.
As I was rushing out, Brownie was rushing in with a look of concern on his face.
What I saw next, I could not believe...tons of smoke, ash and sparks all coming in the direction of the house.
Black putrid smoke and lots of loud popping like firecrackers going off.
The houses in my neighbourhood sit on top of the perimeter of an unused limestone quarry which folks dump stuff in from time to time.
Sometimes too, like yesterday, some folks decide to "burn their stuff" in the vicinity.
The neighbourhood is downwind of the quarry, and also with the natural updraft in the quarry, all the smoke and ash and sparks head our way.
I could not see anyone in attendance of this huge fire, and I was quite concerned, because, I am mostly the only one at home during the day, while quite a few of my neighbours are off at work.
What a catastrophe to come home from work and find your home burnt to the ground.
I called 311......


In about 10 minutes the fire truck was on the scene, taming the fire.


What is amazing to me, is that there is no need for folks to be constantly "burning stuff" as we say here. This activity is not allowed in our neighbourhood.
Yet, there are folks who go on another property to burn their stuff.  They have no hose to put the smoldering ashes out, no bucket of water, no fire extinguisher......nothing.
One can arrange with the Sanitation Authority to collect large rubbish items, and anything else in my opinion can be shredded (sensitive documents) or be placed in the regular garbage.
The fire service worked on the fire for some time, before getting it under control.

After all the commotion and smoke inhalation, my poor boy did not eat his lunch. I had to make him something for supper later on in the night which he ate.

Just suppose I was not at home yesterday?  Just suppose I was out running errands as I sometimes do?
Why do folks do stupid things like this? No regard or consideration for the lives of others or their property?  Why can't they get it into their heads that the practice of "burning stuff" is no longer an accepted means of getting rid of unwanted rubbish?
My kudos go out to the brave fire service guys who responded to my call, and the efficient way that they controlled the fire before it had the chance to spread any further.

All I  know is, is that I am so thankful that I happened to be at home yesterday.

9 comments:

  1. My compliments for your blog and pictures included,I invite you in my photoblog "photosphera"

    CLICK PHOTOSPHERA

    Greetings from Italy

    Marlow

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Enjoyed your website, lots of lovely photos of interesting places.
      Thanks for stopping by.

      Delete
  2. I'm glad the fire was contained and that you are ok!! :o)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it was quite scary...thanks for your sentiments. Both Brownie and I are okay.

      Delete
  3. I agree it's totally senseless. In Australia we've have had some horrible bushfires so open fires are illegal in most areas and anyone caught lighting them would be fined. It still happens though. Maybe it's the caveman instinct.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's the thing, outside is dry as a bone, and the grass and plants are brown and crisp, and yet these idiots still insist on doing stuff like this.
    Along our highways, the grass ignites from the heat almost weekly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's no caveman instinct, it's a stupidity gene.

      Delete
  5. People have an astounding capacity for stupidity and lack of consideration for the lives and property of others. As you say, luck was with you and your neighbours yesterday.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yes, I am still counting my lucky stars. The area continues to smoulder since outside is so dry, and I could have sworn that someone else was burning stuff again in that area this morning.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...