Thursday 21 March 2013

I remember when.......

My mum was a great cook, and I remember when she baked her famous goodies, us kids (my brother and I), would hang around until we were given the mixer beaters/spoon and the bowl to enjoy.
Mum would always make sure that she left a copious amount back on the beaters and also in the bowl, yet my brother and I would end up "calling it" for the one we wanted. Sometimes, we'd end up in the "he's/she's got more than me" place, and my mum would send us both out of the kitchen with nothing. She did not play my mother. She was strict and fair. We learned quite quickly not to argue about who had the most after those instances.
I thoroughly enjoyed cleaning the beaters, but I always enjoyed cleaning the bowl as well. Mum would make us take turns in choosing which one we wanted, so that if I had the bowl on the last occasion, it would be my brother's turn for the bowl next time.
Today, I felt the yearning for something chocolate-y.  Now I'm a lover of white chocolate regularly, but today I felt like the taste of dark chocolate cake.
In between cleaning the house (spring cleaning), I baked a quick chocolate cake and iced it with a chocolate icing glaze.
You know where I'm headed with this don't you?



No brother around, and daughter dear was nowhere in sight, so I had both the bowl and the beaters ALL FOR MYSELF!!!


If I knew you were coming, I would bake a cake, bake a cake......


The chocolate cake was moist yet rich, and was the perfect reward for all my hard work....yum, yum.


4 comments:

  1. that was a great story - whenever we had to divide anything up my mother would make one do the division and the other one choose! It made for even distribution! I made a chocolate cake for my birthday and ate a lot of it myself during the week.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad that you enjoyed your birthday with LOTS of chocolate cake.
    I sent you a Happy Birthday email with best wishes, so I hope you have received it.
    Please don't tell anyone that I ate almost all of the cake myself, left a slab for my daughter....hahaha.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think that is the cruellest post I have seen in a while. You have us all licking our lips and wanting to be in your kitchen.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well call me Cruella, the cake WAS so good....sorry.
      As for wanting to be in my kitchen, that can be arranged....

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...